Friday, April 14, 2006

Thank You For Smoking 4/5 reviewed by Chris

Have you ever seen a preview of a movie and been really excited about it and counted the days until it came out and you could go see it? Then have you been let down because you built it up so much in your mind? That has happened to me far too many times. Thankfully, the first question applies to this movie, but the second does not by a long shot.

Thank You For Smoking

-Now in theaters-

Chris’s review:
Ok, first thing first, you may have not even heard of this movie yet. It is a smaller “indie” film that is getting the typical praise in said “indie” circles. In case you know nothing about it, I will post the imdb.com plot blurb:
“Satirical comedy follows the machinations of Big Tobacco's chief spokesman, Nick Naylor, who spins on behalf of cigarettes while trying to remain a role model for his twelve-year-old son.”

Now, with that out of the way I will give you my short and sweet review. I say short and sweet because though I LOVED this movie I want to let you go and see it for yourself and go into it as I did; that being with some high expectations but little to nothing to ground those expectations on other than a keen interest in the subject matter and vague yet lofty reviews. I say again, I LOVED this movie. This will join my DVD collection as soon as humanly and consumerly (I just made that word up) possible. Why do I love it? Easy, it is hilarious, well written, well directed, extremely well acted, and also hilarious. Oh, I said hilarious twice…well it is THAT funny. I rarely laugh out loud because most forms of entertainment now-a-days are so poor in the comedy department that even a brief smirk is hard to come by. I laughed out loud quite often in this film. Furthermore, as I mentioned, everything in this movie is very well done. There is a story line that is interesting. The characters are wonderful. Everything about this movie reeks of quality.

After seeing it just once it instantly jumped in to my top 10 favorite comedies list. That is saying something!

Now I will end my review. Yes, it is my shortest review ever. I think this movie will speak for itself if you just go out and see…so PLEASE do! And by all means, call me if you are going, I would love to go see it again…and again…and again.

Chris’s recommendations:
See this movie if…
-You think a satire/comedy can be just as good a movie in the craft sense as the best dramas.
-You are tired of the same old boring, recycled, pathetic attempts at “comedy” films that Hollywood pumps out by the dozens every month.
-You are fan of any of the following actors (because they are all EXCELLENT in this movie): Aaron Eckhart, J.K. Simmons, Maria Bello, William H. Macy, Rob Lowe, Robert Duvall, David Koechner.

Don’t see this movie if…
-Your definition of funny involves sitcoms like Friends, Will and Grace, Two and a Half Men, etc. (P.S. do us all a favor and put a bullet in your head you moron).
-You are looking for a documentary about the tobacco industry.
-I’m not with you at the time you are going to the theater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home