Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints 4/5 review by Chris

The fun thing about movies is that at times you will be completely surprised. I was not expecting much from this film as I was going to see it for free thanks to my job at the radio station, but hey, who can pass up a free movie right? Boy, I’m glad I did not.

A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints

-Limited Release-

IMDB synopsis:
The movie is a coming-of-age drama about a boy growing up in Astoria, N.Y., during the 1980s. As his friends end up dead, on drugs or in prison, he comes to believe he has been saved from their fate by various so-called saints. *(Chris’s note: This synopsis was written by someone that has not seen the movie, I guarantee it.)



Chris’s review:
Now, where to start…this movie is GREAT! Let me warn you though, greatness does not always equal watchability in my book. This is a great movie, but it is tough! I took my lovely sidekick Taryn, as always, and I don’t remember the last time she cried so hard in a movie. She came out all red and puffy faced, which I’m sure she would kill me for saying, but since she is a jerk and doesn’t read these reviews, I think I’m safe.
So, that is your warning. This is a VERY well crafted film, but it has some emotional punch to it.

Let me elaborate on the synopsis above. This movie does something that I love, but feel not enough movies tackle anymore, the theme of growing up and breaking out of the standard path of your life and reaching for something more. In this case, Dito lives in Queens in the 80s where your life is little more than wandering the streets with your friends, causing trouble, maybe doing some drugs, drinking, hooking up with girls, etc. until you get old and eventually move out to live on your own, still in Queens, or you waste away in your parent’s place until THEY die and you inherit their place. A trap, a cycle of life…that is just how it is.
Dito wants out. But not in the sappy Disney movie way, where he has a dream of being an artist or a writer and he knows if he just tries hard enough he can make his dreams come true. This movie is not about dreams coming true and happy endings. It is based on the book by the real life Dito, who, coincidently, also wrote and directed the movie. This is an autobiography that does not ever pretend to have any life altering truths to pass on, or massive revelations to impart. This is simply Dito’s life.
The title may give another false illusion. This movie IS about the way everyone in your life helps shape you. It does NOT, however, beat this theme in to your head. I expected a lot of narration and corny lines like: “I realized my Dad was one of my saints because he always loved me even though I never saw it.” You will NOT hear that line in this film (thankfully). As I said, this is simply Dito’s life, all the ugly parts laid bare, and it is up to the audience to sort through the meanings and emotions involved.

Now that I’ve told you why the story is so compelling, I’ll briefly touch on the elements of craft that make this a strong work.
I had trouble accepting the fact that this was the debut of a first time writer and director. The film has the feel of a seasoned film maker with a wonderful sense of the strength of visuals. Further, there was no proof of an unsure rookie maybe trying TOO hard to get a point across either through the dialogue, acting, or cinematography. Impressive poise and subtlety instead were the overwhelming traits. You hardly notice that you are watching a film as much as you feel you are on the streets of Queens taking it all in with the cast.



Next, the performances deserve mention. I have to give props to Taryn for “discovering” a young fellow named Shia LaBeouf brimming with potential on the sad Disney sitcom Even Stevens. She saw something in him, and I’d have to say he is certainly earning her early belief. He carries himself wonderfully in this role. The supporting cast is just as impressive, with a great performance from Chazz Palminteri, of The Usual Suspects, as the father.

Here is to pleasant surprises. Go see this movie.

Chris’s recommendations:
See this movie if…
-You like your movies with more craft than flash.
-You ever felt trapped in your life and wondered if you were the only one.
-You love 80s clothes.

Don’t see this movie if…
-You cry easily (Taryn).
-You don’t think you can handle little, sweet, innocent, cute Shia LaBeouf using the F word A LOT!
-You are looking for a happy ending Disney movie to make you feel like all your dreams will come true and everything will be sunshine and gum drops if you just believe in yourself and try really hard. Go AMERICA!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason, I knew LaBeouf was gonna grow up to be a respected actor. I don't know why, but I thought the same thing Taryn did. I'm excited to hear that it's a good movie.

Unfortunately, friggin' Arkansas won't have this movie anywhere. I'll have to wait until I get home for Fall or Winter Break so I can watch this and The Departed.

Glad to hear it's good.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Ben Riley said...

It's wierd how somehow, all of your reviews somehow end by making fun of America and people who love it. You always find ways to work in the "Go America" line, or something similar...

In any case, you've got me excited about this film, I'll have to go see it now. I'm glad to see LaBeouf kickin' butt as a lead role--I loved his small roles in movies like Constantine and I, Robot.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home