Thursday, December 07, 2006

In Case You Missed It: Accepted 4/5 by Corey

Welcome to the Critic Crew's newest feauture. I'll call it "In Case You Missed It". My associates may call it something else. Whatever. This section is devoted to movies you might have missed (and I definitely did) in the theatres and instead caught on DVD. Some might be brand new on DVD. Some might be a movie I picked up the other night from Movie Gallery (Arkadelphia's Blockbuster).

Accepted is stunningly funny. In the vein of Animal House or Old School, though considerably cleaner on the sexual side of things, Accepted (which is fairly new to DVD) never looked like a winner to me. In fact, the only reason I decided to see it was because there was nothing better to do in Arka-do-nothing and Hot Springs was a half-hour down the road.


Justin Long (Dodgeball, Jeepers Creepers) plays Bartleby Gaines, a reject college student with a plan. Bartleby didn't get into any of the colleges he applied to. In order to please his parents, he comes up with a scheme to buy him some time: he creates a fake college and a fake acceptance letter. Things become much more complicated when he receives his tuition check and his father reports how excited he is to drop him off.

The plot is ridiculous and requires a little head-stretch. The movie is made in the delivery, though: the supporting cast, Justin Long, and a few cameo appearances crack some of the funniest jokes I've heard in a while. The fairly young cast is full of people you are soon likely to see in many more movies: Jonah Hill (Grandma's Boy, Click) plays "Witty Fat Kid" Sherman, Blake Lively (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) plays "Really Hot Girl" Monica. She's really hot. And Lewis Black himself delivers what may well be the best use of the one F-enheimer allowed in a PG-13 movie to date.

The real treasure here, though, is rookie Adam Herschman playing Glen. His random spurts of "Battle Royale!" and "Holy balls!" are what kept me laughing from start to finish. The guy is absolutely hysterical and may even overshadow Justin Long, though he provides some great lines as well.

This movie does not look good, I know. I was skeptical too. If you've trusted me before, trust me on this one: it will not disappoint. It is a blast and WELL worth at least a five dollar rental. It will join my slim comedy library soon. Just go in with an open mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home