Monday, July 30, 2007

The Simpsons Movie 4/5 review by Chris (Joe)

As most people in my age group, I have loved The Simpsons for so very long. Needless to say, I was equal parts excited and nervous about the movie. Grab your spider pig and let us get going to Springfield!


The Simpsons Movie



-Now in theaters-


IMDB synopsis:
When Homer mistakenly pollutes the river with toxic waste from his "Pig Crap" silo, he causes the EPA to encase Springfield in a glass dome, and must save them before President Schwarzenegger gives the order for the town to be destroyed.


Chris’s review:
I’m not even sure why I am bothering reviewing this movie. Is there really anyone that is NOT going to see this? If so, you probably aren’t an American. Lets face it, The Simpsons is as much a part of the American culture as hating Mexicans. You damned racist Americans.

Anyway, my point is, I can’t think of anyone not going to see this movie. And why not?!? Just think of how much of your vernacular comes from that show. Think of how many episodes you’ve seen, those countless years of entertainment. Think of the many transformations of humor, the endless pop culture references, the brilliant satire, the stinging commentary. The Simpsons are part of us all.

So that seems like a lot for a movie to live up to eh? Well, the good news for all of us die hard fans is that they DON’T try to live up to their own grandeur. That would be a mistake of epic proportion. Instead, this is a good solid movie that was maybe just too big to be crammed in to a single episode. This isn’t the end all, be all. This isn’t the whole Simpsons universe rolled in to one giant epic. There really isn’t even anything so astounding as Maggie talking or Bart or Lisa actually aging. All it comes down to is a good, entertaining story with your favorite fictional characters of all time. And I happen to think it is damned successful.

A couple of nods are deserved. First, the cameo by Tom Hanks is VERY funny, and thus my love for him has only grown that much greater. Secondly, Al Brooks is maybe one of the best Simpsons guest voices ever due to his greatness as Scorpio, and he wins again here as Russ Cargill. He is brilliant.

So, that is all I want to say. I love the Simpsons and the odds were pretty good that I was going to love the movie regardless. But I do, really, honestly think they did a good job. It is really entertaining. So go see it, not that you needed to hear that from me. You’re probably already on your way there now. High five.


Chris’s recommendations:
See this movie if…
-I think this is obvious. See it if you like the Simpsons at all, or if you are currently breathing oxygen.

Don’t see this movie if…
-You are one of the 5 people left in this country that don’t have a warm spot in your heart for the funny looking yellow family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home